IP Engineer – Network Lab
Location: San Francisco, USA
Job Roles and Responsibilities
• Responsible to maintain the lab and outdoor test network environments and Implement and maintain Internet Protocol (IP) plans and network diagrams for indoor and outdoor labs.
• Implement and maintain accurate inventory records for all hardware owned by client team
• Implement and maintain security procedures to secure access into network devices including AAA and RADIUS, access control lists, and logging
• Upgrade software for all network devices as required
• Perform configuration audits against templates for network elements.
• Troubleshoot network issues across all layers of the open systems interconnection (OSI) model commonly referred as network break-fix.
• Configure and maintain network monitoring and alerting for all managed devices on the network using client provided tools.
• Troubleshoot layer 1 issues including ethernet cabling, power over Ethernet (POE), small form-factor pluggable (SFP) optics, light levels/ optical time domain reflectometer (OTDR), and fiber cleaning.
o Troubleshoot layer 2 technologies such as VLANs, virtual router redundancy protocol (VRRP), link aggregation groups, and spanning-tree.
o Troubleshoot layer 3 technologies such as OSPF, BGP, internet protocol version four (IPv4), internet protocol version six (IPv6).
o Troubleshoot tunneling protocols and virtual private network (VPN) solutions such as generic routing encapsulation (GRE) or OpenVPN.
o Troubleshoot issues with domain name system (DNS)/ dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP) within the network.
o Troubleshoot transmission control protocol (TCP) and user diagram protocol (UDP) flows via tools like tcpdump and Wireshark.
o Deploy new network devices in the indoor and outdoor labs.
o Rack and stack servers, routers, WiFi access point (AP), and install cabling as required
o Provision network devices including software installations/updates and application of base configurations. Update IP plans and maintain documentation for lab networks.
o Plan the rollout of new indoor and outdoor labs:
Equipment bill of materials (BOM).
o Work with project managers on a timeline and resource allocation for deployment.
o Reconfigure the existing network (IPs, VLANs, routing protocols) to allow teams to run different tests across the network.
o Demonstrate proficiency in configuring Cisco Nexus Platforms, Cisco Firepower, and Cisco ASA.
o Maintain the Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certification.
o Provide 24/7 on-call support, including weekends.
o Maintain network documentation and operational MOPs.
o Monitor networks and coordinate planned maintenance.
Experience and Skills Required:
• Minimum 3+ years of experience in managing telecom operator lab environments
• Hands on experience in maintaining IP network elements including Switch, Router, Firewalls etc..
• Experience in managing test plans and support test environments successfully